- Water -1 quart
- Chicken pieces -3 pounds
- 2 ribs celery, thickly sliced
- Thickly sliced small onions, medium carrots -3 each
- Turnip, quartered -1
- Garlic cloves -5
- Bay leaves -2
- Whole peppercorns -1/2 teaspoon
- Dried sage leaves -1 teaspoon
- Pepper and salt, add as required
- Combine all ingredients, except salt and pepper, in slow cooker; cover and cook on low for about 6 to 8 hours.
- Strain, discarding meat, vegetables, and seasonings;
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate stock overnight; skim fat from surface of stock.