- 1/4 cup each: room temperature margarine or butter, applesauce
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 11/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon each: baking soda, baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon each: salt, ground cinnamon and cloves
- 1 cup finely chopped or shredded zucchini
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
- Powdered sugar, as garnish
- Beat margarine, applesauce, and sugar in large bowl until smooth.
- Mix in egg, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- Mix in combined flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices; mix in zucchini and chocolate morsels.
- Pour batter into greased and floured 6-cup fluted cake pan; place pan on rack in 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on high until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, 3 to 4 hours.
- Cool cake on wire rack 10 minutes; invert cake onto rack and cool.
- Sprinkle generously with powdered sugar.