- 2 quarts water
- 2 cups dried pinto beans
- 1⁄2 cup each: coarsely chopped onion, poblano chili, red bell pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped gingerroot
- 1–2 teaspoons minced serrano chilies
- 2 teaspoons each: chili powder, dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (141⁄2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 cups coarsely chopped turnip or mustard greens
- Salt and cayenne pepper, to taste
- Combine all ingredients, except tomatoes, greens, salt, and cayenne pepper, in 6-quart slow cooker; Cover and cook on low until beans are tender, 7 to 8 hours, adding tomatoes with liquid and greens during last 30 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and cayenne pepper.