- Chicken broth-11/4 quarts
- Dark red kidney beans, rinsed, drained-2 cans (15 ounces each)
- Tomato sauce-1 can (15 ounces)
- Reduced-fat smoked sausage, sliced-6 ounces
- Diced carrot, celery, red bell pepper-1⁄3 cup each
- large finely chopped onion, minced garlic clove-1 each
- Dried thyme leaves-1/4 teaspoon
- 1 bay leaf
- Uncooked converted long-grain rice-1⁄3 cup
- Salt and pepper, as required
- Combine all ingredients, except rice, salt, and pepper, in 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high 4 to 5 hours, adding rice during last 2 hours.
- Discard bay leaf and season to taste with salt and pepper.