- 1 can (141⁄2 ounces) Italian-style plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 each: chopped medium onion, chopped medium green bell pepper, minced clove garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 12–16 ounces bay or sea scallops
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4cup cold water
- 2–4 tablespoons dry sherry (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cooked white or brown rice, warm
- Combine tomatoes with liquid, broth, onion, bell pepper, garlic, and herbs in slow cooker
- Cover and cook on high 4 to 5 hours, adding broccoli during last 30 minutes and scallops during last 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in combined cornstarch and water, stirring 2 to 3 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf and season to taste with sherry, salt, and pepper; serve over rice.