- Water-2.5 quarts
- Dried split green peas-1 pound
- Meaty ham bone, quartered small onion -1 each
- Sliced leeks (white parts only), ribs celery, carrots, cubed small turnips, chopped large tomatoes, minced cloves garlic-2 each
- Dried thyme leaves-2 teaspoons
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper, as required
- Combine all ingredients, except salt and pepper, in 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for about 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove ham bone; remove and shred meat.
- Return shredded meat to soup; discard bones and bay leaf.
- Add Salt and pepper, as required