- 2 cans (141⁄2 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) each: black-eyed peas and red beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 11⁄2 cups peeled cubed butternut or acorn squash
- 1 cup each: coarsely chopped poblano chilies, red and yellow bell peppers
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2–3 tablespoons chili powder
- 11⁄2–2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon each: dried oregano and marjoram leaves
- 1 cup fresh or frozen thawed okra Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 large buttermilk biscuits, baked, halved Chili powder
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- Combine all ingredients, except okra, salt, pepper, biscuits, chili powder, and cheese, in 6-quart slow cooker
- Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours, adding okra during last 30 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place biscuits, cut sides down, on stew; sprinkle with chili powder and cheese.
- Cover and cook until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.